Thursday, November 20, 2008

Weird Family Quality Time

With a family of six and working full-time, one of the hardest things for me to keep up with is laundry - there is a never ending pile of dirty clothes in my laundry room. And, in my opinion, the worst part of keeping my family in clean attire is pairing the multitude of socks my family owns, especially when two matching socks might get washed days or even weeks apart! I've actually been known to make a trip to the store to buy new socks for the entire family, rather than deal with this chore! My mom has even taken a trash bag full of unmatched socks home and returned them all nicely paired & folded, resulting in the entire family doing a little 'dance of joy'!

What the heck does this have to do with family quality time you ask?

Well, I arrived home the other night to find my husband and the kids with our current collection of unmatched socks strewn all over the living room floor. They were picking through Mount Sockmore and creating piles for family member's socks. I (half-heartedly) joined in and we proceeded to spend the next hour or so sorting through and pairing a decent number of socks of each member of the family. Everyone happily scooped up their 'prizes' and delivered them to their rooms.

With the remaining unmatched socks back in their Rubbermaid box (now only half full instead of overflowing), we happily plopped overselves onto the couch for a little prime time tv viewing. I couldn't help but think 'what a strange way to have some family quality time'! But that's truly what it was - the group of us working together, talking, laughing, accomplishing something meaningful! As weird as it may sound, may 'Sock Matching Family Quality Time' have a long and fruitful reign at my house!

No comments: